Studies show that sitting for long periods directly contributes to chronic pain, specifically neck and back. The demands of today’s modern work environment play a significant role in this as millions of employees are confined to desk chairs or the driver’s seat.
Typing on a keyboard as you learn toward a computer monitor, driving long distances, and cradling a cell phone between your ear and shoulder all cause you to tilt your head in unnatural positions. When your head is not set in an upright position, extra weight and pressure are applied to the muscles that surround your neck and upper back area. Because this is how most people navigate through their daily schedule, it’s no surprise that back pain affects each person at some point in their life.
Sitting and Your Health
It is inappropriate to expect employees to go through the workday without sitting. However, there are particular actions you can take to reduce the risk of developing pain or other chronic conditions over time. Consider the following tips offered by our Conyers Chiropractors that help relieve joint pressure and can protect you from chronic pain.
- Take a ten-minute break each hour to walk around or stretch. Doing so helps reduce joint pressure and supports a healthy circulatory system.
- Exercise three times each week for at least an hour. Try to focus on strengthening your core muscles, which help support your back and absorb the impact of your movements.
- Ask your employer for ergonomically friendly resources such as a keyboard, chair, and desk. Such devices help reduce strain in your wrists, neck, and back and can help reduce the chances of developing arthritis over time.
- Keep your computer monitor in line with your eyes so that you are not forced to tilt your head forward. Consider adding a privacy screen to reduce additional strain.
- If you drive for a living, make sure that your seat is adjusted to a position that allows you to comfortably rest your hands on the steering wheel without leaning forward or backward.
Contact AICA Conyers For Additional Help and Chronic Pain Treatment
If you are interested in learning more helpful tips that can prevent strain and pressure caused by sitting for long periods, contact our Chiropractic clinic to schedule a free consultation. For those who currently suffer from chronic pain and are interested in immediate results, dial (404) 602-0386 to schedule a same-day examination. AICA Conyers is open Monday through Sunday and provides 24/7 access for your convenience.